The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has changed how the world operates and how people interact with each other. In addition to good hygiene, wearing a mask, and observing a safe physical distance, keeping your house thoroughly clean and disinfected helps protect yourself and your family from the virus.
According to health experts, the coronavirus can spread by touching infected surfaces. That is why it pays to be cautious when touching and cleaning objects and surfaces inside and outside your home. You should learn how to clean for coronavirus prevention.
Here are some helpful home cleaning and disinfecting tips to combat coronavirus:
- Wear Gloves
Always wear a pair of disposable or reusable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting around the house. Discard disposable gloves or wash reusable ones after each use. Make sure to wash your hand thoroughly after removing gloves.
- Disinfect High-Touch Surfaces
Surfaces, such as doorknobs, light switches, telephones, and toilet seats and handles, may contain harmful bacteria and viruses. That is why it is critical to clean and sanitize high-touched surfaces to prevent the spread of the disease. Use Environment Canada-approved disinfectants to clean surfaces and ensure the safety in your home.
- Disinfect the Right Way
How to disinfect the house properly helps keep you safe from infections. Make sure to wipe away any visible dust or grime from the surface. This helps maximize the effectiveness of the disinfectant in killing microbes. Follow the instructions on the bottle or packaging on how to use it properly. Also, you need to consider that different disinfectants have a certain period to work on surfaces. Some may take as short as 5 minutes to react to germs. This means leaving the solution on the surface throughout the duration.
- Stick to Your Sanitation Routine
Strictly following a daily and weekly sanitation routine in different areas in your house to keep your home safe from deadly viruses.
Daily Disinfection Practices:
- Change the kitchen towel and dishcloth every day.
- Sanitize kitchen countertops, cabinet handles, kitchen appliances, light switches, chopping boards every day.
- Wipe clean spots and spills immediately to avoid attracting pathogens.
- Throw away trashbin content every day and spray it with disinfectant.
- Sanitize faucet and toilet seat and handles.
- Empty and disinfect the trash bin.
- Wash bath towels with antibacterial detergent liquid to prevent microbial growth.
Weekly Disinfection Practices:
- Clean the kitchen sink with disinfectant to kill harmful germs
- Clean and spray kitchen appliances, like oven and refrigerator with a chemical-free disinfectant.
- Wash sink strainers thoroughly.
- Clean bathtub, shower head, and washbasin.
- Change shower curtains weekly
- Wash toothbrush holders and soap dispensers thoroughly with soap and water.
Other Room Cleaning Practices:
- Change bedsheet weekly or as needed.
- Use warm water and antibacterial detergent soap when washing mattresses.
- Avoid shaking the blanket and bedsheet vigorously before washing to prevent spreading dust and germs in the room.
- Mop the floor with water-disinfectant solution, and vacuum the carpets daily.
The coronavirus is likely to stay around for months or years. These coronavirus cleaning tips help make your home a safe haven for you and your family. COVID-19 is not our only enemy in town — colds, seasonal influenza, and other harmful viruses can put our health at risk. Developing good house cleaning habits will never go out of season.
Black Diamond Cleaning Inc. offers customized home cleaning services to meet all your needs. We also offer professional office cleaning and janitorial service in Toronto and neighbouring areas. Call us today at (416) 242-5288 to get a cleaning estimate.